[LCC] 7QP this weekend!

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Fri May 5 14:03:40 CDT 2017

Steve,

that is a great question.  Here's my attempt to answer it.

Currently, I only connect the beverage to a single radio, but am making
plans to implement a switching scheme like I've seen and experienced at
K8AZ.

The ideal situation would be to set it up like K8AZ:

First, all the receive antenna feedlines come all the way back into the
shack.  Then, a Magic-T style splitter is inline on each incoming
receive ant feedline.  Next, after the splitting, preamps and
attenuators are inline to "normalize" and balance signal strengths
before connecting to the receive antenna switches that are found behind
operating positions C & D.  So at K8AZ, there are 2 positions for low
bands.  Because of the splitters and two distinct receive antenna
switches, C & D can listen to the same or to different receive antenna
without eliminating any available receive antenna from the other radio.

Here is how it works at K8AZ, for both position C & D:

1.  After the splitters, preamps and attenuators, all available receive
antennas connect to an antenna switch in the shack, right behind the
operating position.
2.  The transceiver's RX ANT OUT is connected to Port 1 of that antenna
switch.
3.  The common from the antenna switch passes thru automatic (Dunestar
100w) bandpass filters to the RX ANT IN on the transceiver.
4.  The transceiver is always set to listen to the RX ANT IN port, no
matter what.

Then, to listen on your transmit antenna, select position 1 (and gain
the added benefit of passing the signal thru both the transmit chain
external band pass filters (Dunestar 200w automatic between XCVR and
AMP; and after the amp on each band's feedline to the antenna farm are
high power WA3NQN single-band filters) and the receive chain (the
external Dunestar 100w btwn the rcv ant switch and the receiver).  Other
positions on the rcv ant switch will only benefit from the receive chain
BP filters.

--Scott, W5WZ

On 2017-05-05 06:58, Steve Lott wrote:
> Hi Scott !!!