[LCC] 80 meter antenna recommendations?

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Wed Sep 26 16:54:20 CDT 2012

Okay, now its my turn to ask the group. HFTA doesn't model these
combinations, and I'm not good enough with EZNEC to trust I get them built
right within that software. I plan to review info from the antenna book, as
well as Low Band DXing, but there is collectively A LOT of knowledge within
this club, so I'd like to tap into that, too.

I need to replace my 80 meter antenna, and am considering three options:
slightly below ends) height abt 55 feet
#2. replace with inverted vee - feedpoint can be about 75-80 feet
#3. ground mounted vertical - feed point at 6" above ground, one #12 thhn
conductor running up in an oak tree, one ground rod and (maybe) only one
radial.*

  *The #3 antenna started out from the NCJ article last year "an easy
inverted-L for 160. They showed with only ONE radial, it should give close
to a 50 ohm match, not needing a tuner or inductor/capacitor tuning at
base. Since there are FAR more contacts on 80, as compared to 160, I could
convert this inv-L to a vertical by simply cutting off the excess (leave it
about 67' long). My issue here is I buried hardline from shack to feedpoint
(about 260 feet), but did not realize I had used 75 ohm hardline for the
last 120 feet of the run. I may have a mis-match to deal with at the
feedpoint, so I would need to address that. On the radial issue, I only
have abt 30 feet of yard in one direction, and the septic field lines are
in the other, so a complete set of radials is out of the question. I might
be able to get 4-8, MAX, but only if my wife goes somewhere for a weekend
this winter and I get them stapled in without getting caught.

Everything I have seen on other reflectors compares flat tops and inv-vee's
at the same height. I have read that a inv-vee is better for DX, but also
read that at the same height an inv-vee is 1/2 to 1 db down from a
flat-top. Because of tree location, in my case, the inv-vee feedpoint would
be higher, (20-25') than I could get a flat-top.

My standard reply when someone ask me about antenna is "who do you want to
talk to?" Although I enjoy SWEEPS, I haven't worked it from home is several
years. I do not regularly participate in 80 meter traffic nets, (though it
would be nice to be able to check in during emergency situation). I DO like
the NAQP contests in January and July. I have recently become more
interested in DX, and should have 4 band DXCC within a month or two, but I
am only 1/2 way there on 80, so I guess my primary focus will be DX, but
without giving up "some" domestic. There is a chance I could get away with
EITHER #1 or #2, and still do #3 as well.

What would YOU put up, and why?

Thanks and 73,