[LCC] Finally, I'm on RTTY!

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Wed Jul 25 13:40:20 CDT 2012

Dallas, Charlie and Don,
         Thanks! I've been running N1MM, and I d/l the MMTTY "plug-in". If
I type "RTTY in the call field, or simply open a rtty contest in N1MM,
MMTTY automatically opens. Now that's easy.

         To get started, I used AFSK, and made an easy Qso the other night.
As suggested, I looked at RTTY mode on the Icom and agree that it gives FAR
superior filtering, so I need to look at going to FSK. That brings me to a
question, or two regarding hardware, which I didn't see covered on the web
site.

         Like many, I like simple. My normal setup is:
Heil headset runs to mic input of sound card. Speaker output of sound card
runs to mic input on DX Doubler (SO2R box). With one keystroke, I can swap
which radio I send mic (or recorded wav files) to. Normally listen to audio
of both radios, but can switch to one at a touch, if necessary.

         Back in 2002, I, along with several others built a project from
the March 2002 QST, a soundcard interface specifically for Icom radios. It
plugs into the accy port and allows PSK (or rtty, or cw decoding), to work
with one radio. So, the other day, I simply plugged the audio line from the
interface to the "line in" of the sound card and now I can RX rtty from the
left rig, and send either AFSK or voice to either rig, ie. my previous SO2R
setup was unchanged.

         If you guys are running SO2R RTTY, do I assume you have TWO
instances of MMTTY running? Virtually all sound cards have stereo input on
their 1/8 jacks. Hardware wise, do you run left radio audio into left
soundcard input (maybe tip and barrel) and right radio audio into soundcard
right input (maybe ring and barrel), OR do you run two separate sound
cards? I think Charlie even once mentioned separate computers, which means
no right/left switching. Guess having them networked would eliminate having
to continuously sync time and merge logs when done. For my setup, I really
don't want to have to use two computers. At least I don't think I do. Since
I've been successful with one computer SO2R for both ssb and cw, I'd like
to do the same for rtty, if possible. Guess basically, if I'm going to set
up for FSK, I may as well get it set up for both rigs, since all those  in
the know say its the easiest SO2R mode.

         With the DX Doubler, it gets its commands from the Parallel port
cable. By design, it allows toggling one pin to send cw to the selected
radio. Can I break out the signals needed for FSK from that parallel port
cable and not have to use one (or two) extra serial ports?