[LCC] W5WZ response to: LA QSO Party may be gone

Scott Dickson, W5WZ w5wz at w5wz.com
Mon Aug 22 19:50:08 EDT 2011

LCC:

I feel somewhat qualified to speak to this matter.  The Louisiana QSO Party
was indeed dead for 20 years, and the Twin City Ham Club in Monroe LA
resurrected it in the fall of 2000. (See the archived email publication
regarding the event:
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/secc/2000-May/000128.html  )

Jim W5LA was the president of the TCHC, I was sec/treasurer.  At that time
the TCHC had a contest committee of about 5 or 6 folks.  Since that time,
all but 2 (K5ER and W5WZ) have become inactive as contesters.  We ran the
LAQP for four years (2000 thru 2003).  The last year that we did in 2003,
the US POST OFFICE lost most of the logs that had been mailed in.  They were
finally delivered over 1 year beyond the original due date (postmarks
indicated mailed on time).  Many entrants were extremely upset.  And, the
number of logs was 22, with only 7 entries from the state of LA.  I was
basically single-handedly running the LAQP - from publicity, rules, log
checking, scoring, printing certificates and mailing them  I also maintained
the LAQP website.  As a one-man show, I was burnt out, and the Thibodeaux
club (because of the friendship between K5MC and W5EW) stepped in to save
it.

That all being said, I understand how AD5YP feels.

However, the LCC is bigger than a single person.  We have accomplished so
much in only 3 years time.  Our members continue to posting increasing
scores.  We see camaraderie like never before.  Contesters across the nation
notice that the LA multiplier is easier to obtain in nearly every contest.
In good faith to the LA hams and the entire contest community, I don't
believe we should stand by and let the LAQP die.  If we do, as a club we
should hang our heads in shame.

What say you?

Are any other LCC members experienced in putting on a contest like this?

Does anyone have capability to program or obtain log checking software?  I
think I still have the old rudimentary checking software that was written by
W5LA for the 2000 running (the rules have changed since then)

Does anyone have suggestions on growing the LAQP to a size that would be
exciting for both in-state and out-of-state participants?

What rule changes are needed to help LAQP become 'main-stream' as a QSO
party?

Is the current date (mid-February) appropriate?

LCC certainly has the financial resources to sponsor any and all awards.

What say you?

--Scott, W5WZ

--LCC Secretary/Treasurer and Charter Member