[LCC] W5WZ's most wanted DXCC list

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 23 14:14:32 CST 2020

 I was 14 years old when I received my Novice license on January 7, 1972. I was WN9IVC in Indianapolis. My dad had his General license and a Hallicrafters transmitter and receiver. But back then Novices could only use crystal controlled radios so I got to use his Heathkit HW-16 and a handful of crystals. You would find someone calling CQ then insert the crystal that was closet in frequency and then call the other station. If you called CQ, you would then tune up and down to find stations calling. It actually worked well.
My first memorable DX contact was working KH6GGX on 15 meter CW on 4/17/72 at 1815Z.
In January 1974 I upgraded to General after Dad drove me up to Chicago to take the FCC exam. I became WB9IVC. Once I was able to use the VFO in the Hallicrafters, my DX interest grew. I was adopted by the Indy DXers when I was 16 years old. In 1975 I borrowed one the the member's station and placed 10th in the USA and first place in W9-land in the WAE CW Contest. I still have the certificate. It can be seen here:
1975 WAEDC CW Contest – AA5AU

|  |  |

|  |
1975 WAEDC CW Contest – AA5AU

After graduating from technical school in 1977, I spent two years living and working in Iceland but I was not able to legally get on the air.
In 1979 I moved to Louisiana when I took a job through the mail to work communications offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. I fell in love with Louisiana, especially when one of my co-workers took me camping and duck hunting in the marsh out of Venice (I am an Eagle boy scout and loved to camp). I became an avid saltwater fisherman and duck hunter.

My first RTTY contact came in 1983 when Dad supplied me with a homebrew circuit board for a RTTY terminal unit (TU). I built the board into a metal box with a power supply, audio input and output for AFSK and a serial connection to my Heathkit H-89 computer. I ran a homebrew program that someone had written for the H89. The box had two red LEDs, one for Mark and one for Space. When I tuned upon a RTTY signal for the first time, it was magical how the LEDs started flashing and text started scrolling across the H-89's screen. I immediately fell in love with RTTY. It became my favorite mode but I still love CW too.
On July 8, 1987 I became AA5AU after successfully passing both the Advanced and Extra class examinations at the Lafayette Hamfest that year.
I guess you could say the rest is history!
73, Don AA5AU