[LCC] Seeking operators for NAQP SSB

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Fri Jan 11 12:01:54 CST 2019

Marsh,

> I read that as it is okay to have a maximum of two (2) transmitted
> signals
> at the same time - no need for a "lockout".

Yes, that is correct IF you have only two transmitters.  But what about
3, 4, or more transmitters?  That's when the interlocks and strategy
come to play.

The big contest stations (K3LR, W3LPL, etc) in the multi/multi category
have a RUN and S&P station, interlocked, on each of the six contest
bands.  Go split sometime and listen to K3LR on 14.151 USB, and then go
high in the band.  You will hear K3LR continue the CQ run, and also hear
K3LR S&P answering stations calling CQ.

What I am proposing to do, and it is 100% allowed by the rules, is:
Band 1:  A single Run station (10-minute band change rule in place)
Band 2:  RUN and S&P, interlocked (10-minute band change rule in place)

The in-band S&P station will be working all CQing stations, but MUST NOT
call CQ (spirit of the rules does not allow CQing on multiple
frequencies in the same band).

> (Surely a contest station could NOT be running AND S&P for mults on the
> same band...

Yes, they can AS LONG AS they do not SIMULTANEOUSLY transmit.  Thus, the
need for the in-band interlock.

It is true; lockouts can be frustrating; that is where good teamwork
comes into play.  I've observed that the FEWER times the operators use
the PRIORITY/OVERRIDE button on the interlock, the smoother it goes.
But let the math speak for itself; the minor frustration is worth it.
If the S&P station makes only 20 QSOs per hour, over 12 hours that is
240 more Qs.  Last January only 230 QSOs separated the top 4 places.
Could it have made us a #1 finish.  Maybe.

If my station had the antennas and switching needed, along with the
operators, I'd be going for this strategy:
Band 1:  RUN and S&P, interlocked (10-minute band change rule in place)
Band 2:  RUN and S&P, interlocked (10-minute band change rule in place)
The 10-minute band change rule limits the number of simultaneous bands
to 2.

Hope that helps!

--Scott, W5WZ