[LCC] Is it time for the Louisiana Contest Club to spread it's wings

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Sun Mar 12 22:21:14 CDT 2017

The comments thus far are quite interesting.  Here is fuel for thought!

1.       I’d like to know more about the CW Ops Wednesday night event

2.       I’d like to know more about the Phone Fray Tuesday night event

3.       I’d like to know more about the “distributed multi-op” that AA5AU had participated in

4.       I’d be interested to have an opportunity for a weekly or bi-monthly Skype style meeting.  This perhaps could develop into including short training/teaching/how-to presentations.

5.       Remote station operation – I’m happy to share my experience, and also to learn ways to improve.

6.       Questions I have on my mind to improve my station and operating experience:

a.       How to incorporate more automation, particularly in the area of rotator control and stack switching.  Has anyone use Arduinos and relays to homebrew a sort of Green Heron wireless anywhere system?

b.      Optimizing receive antennas – doing the work to “balance” signal strength, such that an antenna that simply sounds louder is not mistaken for actually being better.

c.       Leveraging the complete microHam MK2R+ hardware and software – I’m using the “in-the-ears” and transmit audio switching – there is much more that I don’t know how to leverage to my benefit.

d.      Building W3NQN style bandpass filters in an auto-switching configuration – plans on-line, but I don’t have the proper test equipment to tune them.

7.       Understanding the VE7CC cluster filtering and optimizing the setup (and changing it for various contests, dx chasing, etc.)

8.       N1MM+ has a partner mode.  Who has used it?  Are there strengths here that could be leveraged in multi-op events?

--Scott, W5WZ