[LCC] LAQP

Alan Sewell alan.n5na at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:04:38 CDT 2014

Louisiana QSO Party

Call: N5NA
Operator(s): N5NA
Station: N5NA

Class: RoverCW-Dig LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:     27                  13
   40:    176                  31
   20:    520                  54
   15:    224                  40
   10:     13                   5
    6:
    2:
Total:    960       0         143          0  Total Score = 550,420

Club:

Comments:

The above score includes 1200 bonus points for activating 24 parishes and 100
bonus points for working N5LCC.

Congratulations to the Louisiana Contest Club for their first year hosting the
LAQP!  The LAQP has a bright future under their leadership!

I've operated mobile several years in the LAQP and this year is the best score
I've ever made.  Band conditions were very good with good signals from Europe
on 15m.  I'm always amazed by the DX I'm able to work mobile.  I was even able
to work OM2VL on 80m although he had a tough time copying my signal.

We made a few unscheduled stops and wrong turns in the morning putting us about
an hour behind where Streets & Trips said we should be by lunch.  Then in
Jonesville in Catahoula parish we encountered a "checkpoint" in which
the local PD was stopping everyone wanting to check license and insurance.  I've
never seen THAT before.  We waited in line at least 20 min for our turn.  Even
with the delays we made it to our last parish, Caddo, in plenty of time at
0106.

Murphy usually doesn't ride along on my QSO party adventures but this time when
I tried to move to 80m I found the SWR on my Scorpion would only drop to about
16:1.  It's always worked great on 80m.  So back to 40 & 20.  Later I
decided to just use the tuner in the K3 to tune the Scorpion on 80m then
discovered the tuner was already turned on.  Once I put the tuner in bypass the
Scorpion tuned perfectly!  Take that Murphy!

Thanks to the following stations for contributing more than half the QSO's:
WA6KHK(34), OM2VL(31), KQ3F(28), DL3GA(27), DL5ME(27), YV5OIE(26), WA2VYA(24),
K2DSW(23), K8MFO(21), K0DEQ(20), LY5A(20), DL6KVA(17), K4BSK(16), W3BBO(16),
KN4Y(15), OH6NIO(15), N3KR(14), HA8IB(14), KI0Y(14), KE0G(13), KI0I(13),
K0HNC(12), DL8MLD(12), W8KTQ(11), K0PVW(11), W0GXQ(11), and VE7CV(10).

Equipment: K3, Scorpion SA-680, Dell D630, CQ/X Logging Software, and Chevrolet
C2500.

Thanks to everyone who called and thanks to my wife, K5AKS, for a long day
driving!