[LCC] 2Tone vs. MMTTY

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 16 22:42:05 CST 2013

I'm sending this to both the Louisiana Contest Club and the Delta DX Association reflectors because this pertains to both RTTY
contesting and RTTY DXing. There is a major change in the way we decode RTTY signals now using a soundcard.

In the past week, I have been doing extensive testing of a new soundcard decoder called 2Tone in comparison of the proven MMTTY
soundcard decoder.

For those unfamiliar with 2Tone, it's a soundcard decoder created by David, G3YYD. It works only with the N1MM Logger contesting
program at this time.

In my testing, I have confirmed that 2Tone is far superior to MMTTY when signals are S3 or lower, and still significantly better
when signals are S3 and higher. Bottom line is that 2Tone is better than MMTTY in all scenarios.

I have written two articles pertaining 2Tone vs. MMTTY. One is a result of my testing during last weekend's CQ WPX RTTY Contest and
can be viewed here:

http://rttycontesting.com/contestnotes/2013_wpxrtty.htm

The other I wrote after watching 5X8C on 20 and 30 meter RTTY all day today:

http://rttycontesting.com/2Tone/AA5AU-5X8C-30M-QSO.html

2Tone is the immediate future of decoding RTTY on HF.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com