[LCC] CQ WW RTTY

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Wed Oct 3 01:14:44 CDT 2012

Wow,
	Now I see why this is among the fastest growing contest modes. Just worked
my very first rtty contest and had a blast. Thanks to all you guys for the
help and answering questions, and especially Don for the great web site and
for talking me through some of the details on my hybrid set-up.
	I knew that if I was going to do this, I wanted to be SO2R. I also decided
that I wanted to use only one computer, just like the other modes. While
AFSK only took a few minutes to set up, at the serious prompting of several
of you, I decided to go FSK to use the filtering in the Icom rigs. That was
GREAT advice, guys and it made A LOT of difference. With only one spare
port on the computer, it did cause me to work for it. I modified my
DX-Doubler by adding means to get audio from both radios SIMULTANEOUSLY to
the stereo sound card for decoding. I also added a serial port to the DXD
so I could toggle a pin to send the FSK signal to the second rig. FSK for
the first rig was sent through the parallel cable that runs the DXD. I was
able to use the existing rig control cables to handle the PTT keying. Took
several days to plan, build and test, but it came together the day before
the contest. The hardest part was getting the software to understand what I
was doing hardware wise - or was it understanding the limitations of the
software and making the hardware work with what the software would output?
Either way, I out-patienced them both and it finally worked the way I
wanted it to.
	I only managed two rtty contacts before the contest, but everything looked
like it was going to play correctly, and it did. I had never even listened
to a rtty contest before, and even though I blew both EU openings, I
managed to bag 523 contacts and end up with just over 351K points. I heard
club members NX8G, AA5AU, N5VU, KN5O, W5RU, and K1DW. Hope to see you guys
often on this mode in the future, and thanks for the encouragement.