[LCC] Antenna Analyzers - what do you use?

Scott Dickson, W5WZ w5wz at w5wz.com
Fri May 27 11:26:08 EDT 2011

LCC members:

I'm curious - which antenna analyzer do you prefer for portable use?  And
why?

My best guess is the MFJ-259 type is the most common, perhaps because of
price.

I've used MFJ types, and suppose they are ok.  I've also used the AIM 4170,
which is a great piece of gear, but it is not portable.  If all measurements
were from the shack, there is no doubt that I would buy one right away.

I like to know what is happening across a range of frequencies, not just at
a single point.  I want to know the sign of j as well as the phase angle.  I
need a device that can be used to tune filters/coax stubs.

What is your input?

--Scott, W5WZ