[LCC] K5ER response to: LA QSO Party may be gone

K1DW at aol.com K1DW at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 11:57:06 EDT 2011

Mark,

Lets see what the W5YL gang wants to do....  thanks for your  replys..

Dallas

In a message dated 8/22/2011 11:29:57 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
k5er at arrl.net writes:

I just  read W5WZ's post, and having been an officer in the same general
interest club  for 19 years, can verify his comments. Once the Thibodeaux club
took over the LAQP and the pressure was off, either  Scott or myself as
single ops, or the pair, as a multi-op with K5CZD, have won  our entry category
in the LAQP for the past 6 years. Some of us have NOT lost  interest in the
LAQP!

Some time back, W5EW, did approach the LCC  to discuss the possibility of
LCC taking over sponsorship of the LAQP. At the  time, the club was less than
2 years old old, and had only about 2 dozen  members. At the time, we were
still trying to establish our own identity and  direction for the LCC, and
the group voted not to accept the responsibility at  that time. Since that
time, interest and participation by Louisiana contesters  has continued to
increase and Louisiana is no longer a rare multiplier.

Fast forward to now. The LCC is growing, and we now have just shy of  48
members, including some of the top contesters in the state, who bring years
of experience and knowledge to the table. A couple of us have casually kicked
 the idea around, and think it might be a good idea for the LCC to now step
up  and assume the sponsorship.

SO, to see where we are, lets try a poll.  If we demonstrate enough
interest, I'll bring it to the board so we can  determine how to present it at the
next meeting. IF you think the LCC  should take on the LAQP, either send a
message to the reflector, or to me  personally, with a yes / no, and any
comments on the subject.

What  I DO NOT want to do is saddle our current Sec/Treas with the sole
responsibility. If we decide to do this, with board input, I would appoint a
LAQP committee, of probably 3 to 5 people to insure continuity and spread
the  load. At a minimum, they would be tasked with the following:
1. reviewing  the rules
2. suggesting any changes
3. advertising the event
4.  writing/borrowing software to do log checking
5. have a representative  available to answer email questions from
potential entrants
6. insure the  current logging software authors are aware of any
rule/scoring changes
7.  post the results in a timely manner on the club's website

So first, is  there enough interest to consider this? Second, If we follow
through with  this, who has the time/ knowledge/ desire to be on the
committee. Remember,  this is OUR club, and would be OUR responsibility. It would
also be our  opportunity to build the LAQP into a nationally recognized event
that folks  WANT to participate in and have "bragging rights" for  winning.

President,
Louisiana Contest Club

LCC mailing  list
LCC at louisianacontestclub.org