[LCC] Louisiana Multi-Ops

Mark Ketchell k5er at arrl.net
Mon Nov 22 16:11:25 EST 2010

Hi Guys,
         I, like many others, am constantly making improvements to my own
station and after all the time and funds spent, like to work Single Op from
home. However, In the past couple of years, I have had the opportunity to
guest op at some pretty nice "Shacks".

         For ARRL DX, 2009, I visited "the Camp", belonging to W5WMU. Wow!
What an antenna farm. Pat and his wife put us up and fed us everything
under the sun. Working with Dan, Charlie, Pat and others from the south
part of the state was a blast ...and they said it was ME that had an
accent. If you like lots of aluminum, THIS is the place to be.

         After my tree accident left me without my highest tower and
aluminum last year. W5WZ invited myself and a few others to a multi for Nov
SS, SSB in 2009. His new contest station was not yet fully assembled, but
we had lots of fun. Scott and his wife were great hosts and Sharon made
some fabulous home made soup. Fresh fruit and other snacks were on hand for
the ops.

         This year, KG5VK threw out an invitation to Nov SS, SSB, his
favorite contest. A couple of other guys ended up with conflicts, so I
headed over to support Steve's effort. He had some new energetic operators
as well as some veteran contesters. Steve has a set of noise cancelling
headphones, and we all laughed as he excitedly stood there hollering parts
of the exchange to the operator, who sat smiling with the phones on, not
able to hear ANYTHING happening in the shack. Oh, the memories. Once again,
I had a great time. Steve and his wife were also wonderful hosts, even
providing sleeping quarters for those from out of town and keeping us well
fed with two huge pots of fresh shrimp and mixed meat gumbo, brown and
white rice and fresh home-made bread for every meal. The fresh baked
cookies were a treat.

         I haven't yet made it to W5RU, but hope to some day, as those guys
seem to know how to do it as well.

         As you can see, there seems to be a pattern here. If you attend a
multi op in Louisiana, you're going to have some fun, laughing and visiting
with some of the best ops in the state. You'll also make a bunch of Q's,
get to operate some really nice equipment, and probably learn something
new, or exciting, or a way to increase your own enjoyment. Bottom line,
though, is that with all the good cooks, you will NOT loose any weight
visiting these multi-op efforts. But it sure is FUN!! It is great to see
the friendships (and competitiveness) blossom.

         Thanks very much to the all the station owners (and families) who
host these multi efforts. These guys typically spend more equipping their
stations so that others can participate, and feeding these crews can't be
cheap. Part of their enjoyment is seeing others get on the air and have
fun. My advice is: If you have an opportunity to accept an invitation to a
multi, you should go at least once. Support these guys and their efforts.
Just remember to respect the limitations and be sure to thank the host (and
the spouse). The best way to thank them is to run up a few hundred extra
Q's when you are in the operating seat.

73 and good contesting,