[LCC] Tower is up!

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Mon Nov 1 01:18:36 EDT 2010

I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen. After the
accident last fall (fight between tree and tower), as Scott said, I had a
clean slate to work with. Instead of a short Rohn 45 to go with the 85'
Rohn 25, plans were made for a larger Rohn 55. The base was poured in May
of 2010 and for several months, I was acquiring hardware.

In early October, the crew gathered and we stacked 96' of Rohn 55. Prior
commitments prevented finishing at that point, but on Thursday, Oct 28, we
gathered again and finished the tower to a height of 124'. Why 124'?
Because W5WZ's is 116'. ;-)  Actually, that is the absolute maximum I could
fit in my yard and stay within manufacturer's spec. We also hung one each
mono-banders for 15 and 20 meters.

The next day, Kevin returned to install motors on the TIC ring rotors, as
well as control cables and feedline.

So for CQ WW 2010, for the high bands I had a 2 mono-banders and Scott's
KLM tri-bander. Yes, there were a few issues to be worked out, but it was
enough for about an 8% improvement over my previous best in this contest.
As time permits, I'll build the other 15M4DX's and the two 44' boom OWA's
for 20. This will give me a three stack on both 15 and 20. Once these are
done, the Rohn 25 will come down and be replaced with abt 60' of Rohn 45
and a set of three 105CA's for ten meters. In the mean time, I've also
gathered parts and wound transformers for a few Beverages, and hope to
incorporate these for an improvement on the low bands.

I knew it would take some time, and also some effort, but never realized
how much was involved in such a project. To all those who have gone through
this, particularly our northernmost member, WE3C and the state's flagship
station, W5WMU, my hat's off to you. After several trips to Dayton, and
months worth of scouring the email reflectors, one of the best pieces of
advice also came from John, WE3C, " No matter how big the project, just go
out and do one thing each day, and eventually, you will make it to your goal."

Many thanks to those who assisted either directly, or in the
planning/advice, in this endeavor - W5WZ, W5KGT, AA5LA, KD5OQC, AE5V,
N5LSP, KC5WA, KB5YEG, K5RUS,  K5OR, WE3C and K5TR.

73,
K5ER