[LCC] K3 vs. R-4C MDS measurements

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Sun Jul 25 11:22:24 EDT 2010

Hi Randy,
         Thanks for bringing this info to the list. Charlie, WA5YOU and a
few others talked about this years ago. I didn't fully grasp its usefulness
and importance until I became interested in contesting. It has been talked
about at Contest University in Dayton, and also in a NCJ article a couple
of years ago. To me, its also the basis of using antenna such as a K9AY
loop or a Beverage, where you get some directional selectivity, and at the
same time, drop the noise floor enough to allow the receiver's dynamic
range to work without being overdriven or distorting. Especially when on
the low bands, the RF gain and attenuator have become some of the most used
functions on my radio. This makes it MUCH less tiring to copy exchanges
without having to listen through all the noise.
         Thanks for your participation in the LCC list!