[LCC] low band antenna experience

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Thu Jul 15 19:55:41 EDT 2010

Hi Keith.....The K3 is a fine box, of that there is no doubt.  The only
boxes that might compete are the Icom 7800 and the Flex radio 5000.  The
Flex radios don't look like a radio and that puts me off.....a lot.  But
they have a really superior band scope and noise blanker.  They too have
"stone wall" filters....because it is all in the software.

So far, I cannot get myself wrapped around the computer interface for a
radio rather than the radio itself.  I have purchased one of the new
Flex 1500's...it puts out 5W and should be perfect for driving
transverters.  Since I am a VHF contester, that is really an important
point.  I will just have to see how the software radio pans out.....

Speaking of VHF contesting, the CQ WW VHF contest is this weekend.  It
begins at 1800Z = 1PM CDST on Sat and ends at 2100Z = 4PM on Sunday.
This contest is 6M and 2M only....if possible, it would be great if I
could get a few QSOs from the LA ops.  Please just drop by and work us
on 6M and 2M......

Thanks in advance....73 Marshall K5QE