[LCC] low band antenna experience

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Thu Jul 15 01:17:33 EDT 2010

Hi Guys,
	After working the IARU contest recently, I realized that there were lots
of places I could TALK to, but was having trouble hearing. Yes, I know its
summer and the low bands are noisier, but I can't help thinking if I had
more SELECTIVITY, I could work a lot more of them. Scott, W5WZ recently
tried a Beverage and became a big fan. Thing is...he has about 12 acres to
run these things. I have about 1/3 of an acre, so MY Beverage would start
in one neighbor's yard, cross mine diagonally, and end up in another
neighbor's yard. I have some great neighbors, and if it could be about
12-15 feet above ground, I could probably swing it, but both like to keep
their yards nicely trimmed, so a wire 4' high may not be doable.

	Looking at the K9AY loop, and what I find written about it seems
favorable. So now I'm turning to you guys. I'd like to know what YOU are
using for the low bands, and/or what experience you might have with either
the Beverage or the K9AY. Many choices...flags pennants, slopers, phased
slopers, spitfires, four squares, and more. So, what have you tried that
DID work, and also what DIDN'T work?

	Best of luck to the RTTY guys this coming weekend, and hope to see all of
you on the air for the other NAQP weekends.