[LCC] THANK YOU KN5O, K1DW, W5FKX and LACC/DE KI6BEN

JOHN D VARGAS webguyjv at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 26 17:42:43 EDT 2009

Hello Ted and All Of My New Friends In Louisiana   :)

What a delightful weekend.  Thank You SO MUCH to Ted and the entire Louisiana Contest Club.

You guys sure have rolled out the red carpet for an NCCC guy visiting your beautiful state.  All I can say is, when you come to California, you simply must come and visit me, and I'll take you to visit my friends at the K6LRG Contest Station in the Livermore Hills...
http://www.largeradio.org

On Saturday, things started off very well, with a warm welcome from Don, W5FKX, on the LACC DX repeater.  I look forward to chatting with Don each morning on the repeater.

As you all know, Ted has a wonderful station, in a beautiful area.  I had hoped for an eyeball QSO, exchange QSL cards, take some photos and I'd be on my way.  With the hospitality of Ted and his wife, as well as Dallas, I couldn't resist staying all day.  Ted didn't have to twist my arm very much to get me to use his sweet FT-1000.  What a nice rig!  Ted and Dallas were very patient, allowing me quite a bit of seat time.  Really fun!

Yesterday was a relaxing slow day for me, where I drove the rental car at a liesurely pace, up to Gulfport, Mississippi.  After taking a few pics of the Navy Seabees base (my older brother was stationed there in a past life), I settled at a nice little seaside park, about two miles West of the lighthouse.  I setup my FT-817 and MP-1 antenna and went to work.  I was not competing mind you, but did hope to make some QRP contacts.  I was delighted to have made QSOs with the following:
DL2ARD
WB6TFD (good friend of mine)
NP2N
4U1UN (DXCC #101 for me)
HC1JQ
LX7I
HI3CCP

The amazing thing is, after that, I ran back to the airport, dropped off the rental car, and brought my whole station back to the hotel inside a small backpack.  HAHAHAHAHA   ;-)

We'll be here until Thursday, working by day and being New Orleans tourists by night.

I'll send pics to you guys, once we get back to Fremont.  For some odd reason, my laptops SDCard reader isn't working (USB buss problem, I guess), so I couldn't pull them out of the camera (I left the cable at home).

I look forward to my next trip to Louisiana.

Have a wonderful day, God Bless and 73s   ;-)

John Vargas
KI6BEN/5
French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisianna