[LCC] interface for kenwood?

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 19 09:56:56 EST 2009

For sure to say that he's going to be a bit shocked at what is available for
digital modes now versus when he was last active.  Same thing happened to me
in 2000 when I came back into the hobby and discovered that my Kam was now
obsolete (except for Gtor!).

All (and I mean all except the fancier TOR modes, Gtor and Pactor II and
III) are available, mostly in some free form in the way of a soundcard and
simple windows program.  So that leaves a user with 2 requirements.
Isolation and PTT.  I have had no problems with the various models of MFJ
soundcard interfaces.  They're typical MFJ, cheap but effective.  Of course
you may have to pull the cover and remove the loose screw running around in
it, but who doesn't disassemble MFJ stuff FIRST!?

Vista shouldn't be a problem, as most of the programs have caught up to it.

Basically Mark, you're looking for something that will provide audio
isolation to remove ground loops, and possibly provide PTT from a serial
port, if available.  The alternative can be if he's got rig control and uses
computer generated PTT, or simply uses Vox.

Once he's gotten the feel for it, he can move on to the Microham Keyers or
the Navigator keyers.  They include some extra things such as specialized
soundcards built in, USB support for virtual serial ports, etc.  I
personally have the MicroKeyer, love it.  I also have a Rigblaster Pro, but
that of course at the time required 2 serial ports.

Good luck
Charlie
Ki5xp

I'd