[LCC] interface for kenwood?

Mark Ketchell k5er at arrl.net
Wed Feb 18 17:21:34 EST 2009

Hi Guys,
	Have a friend, probable future LCC member, who has been inactive for a
number of years. He just got back on and bought a Kenwood TS-850. Much of
his "junkbox" is still in storage, so I am putting a plug on his keyer
tonight. He has always been a CW op, and is now very interested in digital
modes. Has specifically named RTTY and PSK-31 as some he wants to do. He
currently has a laptop (Vista) to use in the shack. What is his easiest /
best approach for going digital. Is a soundcard to simple interface to
radio preferred, of a full blown decoder/converter/do it all hardware
interface type box. I am totally unfamiliar with Vista, and with Kenwood
radios. Someone on a net told him that the MJF 1273 was THE answer, but I'd
like a couple of more opinions.  Thanks in advance.