[LCC] Sale of amateur radio AMPRnet TCP/IP addresses raised $108 million | Amateur Radio News

Charles Morrison cmorrison at lusfiber.net
Tue Oct 13 14:00:19 CDT 2020

Actually picked up on this and sent it out to our area hams that were deeply involved with Ampr network back in the 1990’s.  Our SK friend James Dugal N5KNX was very instrumental with the Ampr.org network.  He was the distributor of addresses for hams in the Lafayette area.  As the director of the Computing Center at USL in those days, James was also the designer and helped implement the TCP/IP network and Gateway that AARA hams had into and out of the internet via USL.  We had internet email and ftp/telnet access into the internet via a 9600bps packet gateway at USL way back in 1991, long before Linknet.net, Iamerica and all of the other commercial dialup access providers.

James continued even after the internet became more mainstream.  He picked up the development of Jnos for a number of years, which served as a TCP/IP packet radio utility system/bbs system.   James was THE GUY at Dayton that people like Phil Karn KA9Q and others within Amsat, would gather around and talk with.

Ironic that Phil’s one of the guys in charge of selling off part of the ham network.

Charlie

N5WE