[LCC] Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee QSO Party

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Sat Sep 28 11:30:22 CDT 2019

Here is the response from Arkansas QSO Party Chair:

Hello Scott – I have been been the Chairman of the Arkansas QSO Party
since 2002.  We usually average 135-150 log submissions each year for
the ARQP, but it takes constant, year-round promoting of the event (all
on my part) that has kept it going.  I have a small amount of help in
promotion by word of mouth, but I have been the driving force that has
kept it going all these years (….and I say that with all the humbleness,
but it’s a fact – had I not “stayed after it” all these years, it
probably would have died-out by now).

Probably like the other Division states’ QPs, MOBILES ARE THE LIFE BLOOD
of our QP, because out of Arkansas’ 75 counties, only about 20-30 are
activated by home or fixed stations each year.  The mobile stations are
what keeps it afloat:  W3DYA, K5CM, WA5BDU, N4CD, and others including
myself.

This year, I notified all Arkansas hams that participate in our contest
that I am giving them 3 years notice, and that I am retiring after the
2022 ARQP.  It’s time to pass the torch to a younger generation ham, if
anyone is willing to undertake the position.  So, if the ARQP continues
after I step down remains to be seen.

I’ve said all this to say, I think a Delta Division QP would be very
good.  It might encourage more participation in that it would involve a
greater number of contestants and a higher level of competition…who
knows?

73 – Don, K5DB – ARQP Chair