[LCC] Contest Clubs Update - January VHF Contest Logs, ARRL DX Contest is coming, NA Sprint team invite and more

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Wed Jan 23 12:50:27 CST 2019

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Contest Clubs Update - January VHF Contest Logs, ARRL DX
Contest is coming, NA Sprint team invite and more
Date: 2019-01-23 12:06
 From: "Jahnke, Bart, W9JJ" <w9jj at arrl.org>
To: Contest <contest at arrl.org>

Re: Contest Clubs Update - January VHF Contest Logs, ARRL DX Contest is
coming, NA Sprint team invite and more

To:  ARRL Contest Clubs

Follows are a few updates for contest clubs:

  ·         THE 2019 JANUARY VHF CONTEST JUST ENDED:  With the January
VHF Contest weekend now just behind us, the 10-day log submission
deadline is 2359 UTC January 31st.  You can upload your Cabrillo log to
https://contest-log-submission.arrl.org/ [1]  (or we still accept paper
logs -- and for the past several years we have been graced with the
voluntary efforts of K9JK who transcribes and keyboards these VHF
Contest paper logs and submits them in Cabrillo format for us {see
http://www.arrl.org/january-vhf for paper logs submission – be sure to
thank “JK” for these efforts when you see him at the various events
or work him on the air!}).  Email me with any questions regarding logs
submission.  If you have not yet sent in your log, please do so!  Once
you submit your electronic log, your call sign and basic detail will be
listed at http://contests.arrl.org/logsreceived.php (after the logs
deadline has passed, claimed scores and entry category will also be
shown) Despite the bad weather in many parts of the country this past
weekend, a log with even a few QSOs helps us measure the activity of the
event.

  ·         THE FEBRUARY AND MARCH ARRL DX CONTEST WEEKENDS LOOM:  The
February 2019 ARRL DX CW Contest weekend (see rules at
http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx) is just a few weeks away - February 16-17,
2019; and the March 2019 ARRL DX Phone weekend is two weeks later -
March 2-3, 2019.  Are you ready?  If you are part of a Club Competition
effort, be sure your Club Membership Eligibility List is up to date (eg,
are your new members added, members that moved away deleted, and members
with call sign changes updated?)

  ·         TO MANAGE YOUR MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY LIST:  go to
http://contest-clubs.arrl.org/ (remember to upload a full Membership
Eligibility List each time you do an update, and that each line in your
list contain the   CALLSIGN,GRID   for each member {that’s their
6-digit-grid locators}).  Your list MUST BE updated BEFORE the event you
will participate in (even if you do your update just moments/minutes
before the event starts). And if you do have a MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY
LIST on file (see HTTP://CONTEST-CLUBS.ARRL.ORG/VIEWLISTS.PHP [2] for a
list of clubs that are eligible because they uploaded their eligibility
list), for your club to be in the competition, logs from at least 3
eligible members must be submitted for a given event.

  ·         NATIONAL CONTEST JOURNAL (NCJ) - CW SPRINT - REGISTER YOUR
TEAMS:  While NA Sprint (http://ncjweb.com/north-american-sprint)
regulars know about teams, those just getting into contesting may not
yet appreciate the fun of team membership.  This is also a great way for
contest clubs to recruit, train, and retain members.  Registering teams
is easy - go to http://ncjweb.com/cwsprintteamreg/ and fill out the
form.  Teams can be registered and re-arranged right up until contest
time. (The registration form will be available starting Saturday
evening, 7 days before the contest.)  That's it - no additional work is
required on the part of your members and it’s all automatic from
there.  Once on a team, a participant is more likely to stick with it
and put in a good effort.  It's wonderful training for other CW
contests, too - like the upcoming ARRL DX CW.  You only have to have
five members for a complete team and partial teams are fine.  It helps
for your team wrangler to collect calls and post the teams to your
club's web, email, or social media.  This encourages more to sign up and
fill out more teams - like an auction, "I've got three members, three
members, who's a fourth, I've got four members, and five, there's a
team!  Who's up for another team, give me a call sign..."  Sprint teams
are fun and help new members feel like part of the group, too.  Hope to
see lots of teams registered for the first Saturday night in February!
As always, you are invited to provide any thoughts/suggestions/follow up
to NCJ Editor Scott Wright, K0MD at drscott.wright at gmail.com

Until next time…

73, and see you in the contests!

Bart Jahnke, W9JJ

Contest Branch Manager

ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio™

225 Main St

Newington CT 06111

860-594-0232

w9jj at arrl.org