[LCC] Call history file

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Fri Jan 11 08:26:13 CST 2019

W5WZ has not yet used a call history file, but I am strongly considering
for next weekend's NAQP SSB

> Do you use this feature in N1MM+?

I'll have to learn how to use the feature in N1MM+

> I am trying to get a feel from the contest community how most of you
> think about this type of "help".

I don't have a problem with it.  After you log a station one time in a
contest, the exchange info appears in N1MM+ when you have the next
QSO(s) on the other bands.  And, I've experienced it more than once
where the guy gives a different exchange than in previous QSOs.

> A lot of groups maintain these list for different contest, but should
> they be allowed?

A purist would claim that a group-prepared call history file makes you a
multi-operator entry.

Face it, the melding of ham radio with other technologies including the
internet as a Wide Area Network, the packet cluster network, CW
skimmers, RTTY skimmers, panadapters, voice keyers, electronic logging
software, etc, etc, ad nauseum has changed ham radio.  That is not a bad
thing.

To me, it doesn't matter that the rules this year may be different from
the rules last year.  If I choose to play this year's game(contest), I
play by this year's rules.  New rules or modified rules essentially
invent a "new game".

To me, fixed exchange data (zone, state, country, licensed year) exposes
less risk than serial number fields.  But not always!  People are very
mobile/portable, and the number in a call sign is becoming less
meaningful as a regional identifier (at least in the USA).

It is somewhat "Caveat Emptor" especially in contests such as NAQP,
where many do not use their own given name, but often use another name
in memorial of a silent key, for a cause (such as censure of Dick N6AA),
or perhaps for an advantage (Ed).  As Marsh said, it can be pre-fill =
pre-bust.  But not for a careful operator!

--Scott, W5WZ