[LCC] AA5AU CQ WPX RTTY M/U HP

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 12 21:35:15 CST 2019

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU K3ZV KJØD KT1I N1GMO W4AAW W4TMO WS7I
Station: W4AAW

Class: M/U HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Location: USA
Remote operation

Band	QSOs
80:	658
40:	990
20:	1105
15:	215
10:
Total:	2968	Prefixes	919	Total Score	7,688,354

Comments:

Another Totally Remote Operation from W4AAW with operators from Coast to
Coast of NA logging in.  No operators in the shack during the contest.  I
guess W4AAW is the only totally remote M/U station anywhere.  If we are not,
we'd like to hear from others who are attempting it.

Operators and their operating positions were as follows:

KJ0D           MO
KT1I & N1MGO   MA
K3ZV           FL
W4AAW          VA
W4TMO          NC
AA5AU          LA
WS7I           WA

Thanks to Don-AA5AU for the use of one of the most famous calls in all of
RTTY-dom.  Our 29-member team has adopted the practice of using the call
signs of our members for various contests.  (That way, THEY get saddled with
all those QSLs. HI.)

For once, we had no equipment or antenna failures despite the filthy weather
before and during the contest period.

Not a peep on 10M or 15M Saturday but the A index dropped from 3 to 1 and
15M opened to the West and South on Sunday. 10M for us was a no show.  Low
bands were a gift and 20M was our money band with AA5AU holding forth in his
inimitable style for four hours on Sunday. Amazing rate achieved.

Don-AA5AU and Iron-butt Gordon-N1MGO share the BIC award.

Our inter-station note pad worked very well this time.

So did our brand new hand-off procedure. It allows the remote operator at a
position to be relieved another remote operator without any loss of time or
running frequency.

Many thanks to all whom we worked.  It was fun.

73

P.S. Our team will CU as "K3TN" in the upcoming ARRL DX CW test.

PPS: Hats off to Steve-NR4M and our friends at the "Goat Farm."  Another
great success for that fb group.