[LCC] 10 meter propagation for 10 meter contest

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Thu Dec 12 07:08:41 CST 2019

>> From my friend AD0K near Austin TX <<

I hope to get on during the ARRL 10m contest this weekend. I did some
research on the propagation predictions for this time of year from
mid-USA (See
these charts
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Propagation%20Charts/12mid73.pdf>). I
have
summarized them below. All are based on Solar Flux of 73 and assume we
are
in the best 10 percent of days of the month (HPF - Highest Possible
Frequency). In short, with that low of Solar Flux, propagation will be
rough, at best. As always, a good antenna with some power will help, but
as
we know, if 10m is open, 1 watt and a wet string can do wonders. I hope
see you on this weekend. I will be running 100w to the Mosley TA-63
operating mostly S&P, but look for my CQs around 28.020. My antenna will
be
pointed to the Southeast for the most part, to catch South America and
South Africa. I will move as necessary if the Pacific or some other part
of
the world pops up.

Be sure to spot what you hear so others know there is activity. I will
be
using the K5NA spotting network for my outgoings.

South Pacific - 1700Z - 1800Z
South Africa - 1300Z - 1900Z
Australia - 2000Z - 2200Z
Hawaii - 1700Z - 2200Z
South America - 1300Z - 2000Z

The US West Coast best odds are between 1900Z and 2000Z, but not likely.
The US East Coast best odds are between 1600Z and 1900Z, but, again, not
likely.
Japan's best odds are right around 2200Z.
Western Europe is not likely, but the best odds are between 1300Z and
1500Z.
Eastern Europe is even less likely, but best odds are right around
1300Z.

Of all of the world's regions, the most likely to appear will be South
America, the South Pacific, and South Africa.
Of course, if some sporadic E shows up, anything is possible. Also, look
for aurora bounce, where we all point antennas north and talk to
everyone
in our hemisphere.

73 es GL.
Don AD0K