[LCC] CQWW WPX SSB AA5AU SO Assisted HP

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 25 21:40:29 CDT 2018

          CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:   13
   80:  268
   40:  209
   20:  694
   15:   53
   10:   23
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

I had actually planned on a full effort, but decided it might be a good idea
take the XYL shopping for a few hours on Saturday. On Sunday afternoon, I
took
some time off to go to the grocery store for dinner and my truck died on a
busy
street. The XYL picked me up and brought me back to get my other truck and
then
back to see if I could find out what was wrong with the first truck. It
started
right up! Lost about 3 hours on that.

About half the contacts were made without a microphone. I had worked all
week
preparing voice files. But unlike my first non-microphone effort in ARRL DX
earlier in the month, it was much more difficult with serial numbers as the
exchange. It worked OK but it wasn't efficient and didn't sound great, so I
figured out a way to tie the boom mic on my Heil headset into the line and
it
went much better after that. I wish I had done that beforehand. Lesson
learned.

This may be the most contacts I've ever made in a PHONE contest. I had some
really nice runs on 20 meters but overall I probably did more S&P. Late
Saturday night I had a great run on 75 meters with several strong European
stations calling in. That was nice!

20 meters was broken on Sunday. Spent more time chasing South Americans on
10
and 15 meters. Then after the truck episode, I spent the last couple hours
running on 20 but it was a little slow.

Overall, not bad for a RTTY guy I guess. Can't wait for the next one.