[LCC] Pondering Sweepstakes, Station Interlocks, Strategies

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Thu Jul 5 14:36:41 CDT 2018

I'm thinking about Sweepstakes, and the Multi/Single Rule.  We've
operated several years with a simple hardware interlock between two
transceivers, with an emergency override at each operating position.  It
works well for a two-radio M/S. Ted KN5O provided the design for that
one.

I'm currently working on an Arduino based 4-radio interlock for M/S,
with emergency overrides at each operating position.  Initial prototype
code and the circuit seems to be working pretty well.  My thinking is
that with 3 or 4 radios during SS, maybe we can squeeze an extra 5-10
QSOs per hour out of in-band search and pounce, possibly 100 - 200 more
over the duration of the contest.

To enable 3 or 4 radio use at my station, I've got a small
trailer-mounted tower that we can get up about 50 feet, and we've
already asked to be able to use the ARES groups 100 ft trailer-mounted
tower for the contest.  We should have a pair of KT34XA available for
the temporary towers.  Thoughts?

As my radios have a TX INHIBIT, it seems that may be a better way to
implement than the actual PTT / footswitch.  Does anyone have any
experience or advice on that?

--Scott