[LCC] DXCC Winter Drive for KZ5

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Tue Jan 2 15:50:54 CST 2018

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: DXCC Winter Drive for KZ5
Date: 2018-01-02 15:20
 From: Mike Paulson <kz5land at yahoo.com>
To: Mike Paulson <kz5land at yahoo.com>

January 02, 2018

The Winter Drive for KZ5

Hello All,

Please share with club members and friends.  And before you decide not
to, please go look at the New and Very Improved web site.
https://kz5land.wixsite.com/kz5land .  This is a serious effort by a
serious historian.

I would like to thank all of you who responded to the summer call.  For
my first-time effort, I was very happy with the results.  I had 37 hams
from 22 QCWA Chapters provide 125 scans of cards.  And another 18 hams
from 14 ARC’s and DX Clubs from Florida and Massachusetts, provide
another 68 scans.   There were even a couple who donated their cards.
THANK YOU AGAIN.

I learned one thing from the summer call, it’s going to take a long
time to reach all the clubs just in the USA.  I think I’m going to do
it alphabetical by state.  Hi Hi.

My name is Mike Paulson, and I am working to create a comprehensive,
historical record of ham operators who were active in the Panama Canal
Zone from 1920 to 1979.  I am seeking to identify all the Canal Zone ham
operators through their QSL Cards.  Sound impossible?  Not with your
help.

I have already acquired scans of all the Whitehorse callbooks from 1930
to 1978 and have entered all that info into a database.  So, I can
determine at least who most of the stations and operators were from that
period.  I can also tell you that the Archive is missing a lot of QSL
Cards.

You can help by looking through your QSL cards and doing one of these
things:

  1.     Scan the front and back of your KZ5 cards at 100 dpi and email
the scans to me at kz5land at yahoo.com or post them to the FaceBook group
I have for the project.

  https://www.facebook.com/groups/532860190101682/   “Canal Zone Ham
Operators Archives”.

2.     If you would like, you can send me the cards for scanning and I
will return them to you post haste.  Just include a SASE.

3.     You can donate your KZ5 cards to the Archive.

If you have 1 card or 21 cards, each and every one is important to the
effort.  Over the years there were many different operators assigned the
same callsign.  There were many stations that had multiple operators at
the same time.  This was due to the large military turnover.  It all
counts.  I also track card designs. (As if I didn’t have enough to
keep track of.)  The only way to make the effort work, is to see the
cards.  I also look for CZ issued certificates and licenses.

Ultimately, after I have gathered as much information as possible, I
plan to turn it over to a museum or library of Canal Zone or Ham Radio
history.

I do this to honor my mom, (KZ5MP) and all the other Canal Zone Hams.
Please, be a part of this effort to record our history.

Please Help, and reply directly to my email address listed below.

PS.  You would have to be a ham for at least 40 years just to have made
a KZ5 contact.

73

Mike Paulson
1323 Blakemore Ct
Tallahassee   FL   32317-8459
kz5land at yahoo.com

FaceBook   Canal Zone Ham Operators [1]

Web Site  https://kz5land.wixsite.com/kz5land
QRZ   at   KZ5FN
Please remember, your KZ5 cards and documents always have a safe and
protected home when archived with KZ5LAND.

Links:
------
[1] https://www.facebook.com/groups/532860190101682/