[LCC] ARRL 10 AA5AU SO Mixed Unlimited HP

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 10 08:14:08 CST 2018

 Yes - 394 on ten meters and I'm currently in the top ten Claimed Scores for Single Op Mixed Unlimited HP which is even more surprising considering how little time I actually operated.
I didn't operate at all Friday night. I monitored 10-meter spots on the cluster Saturday morning. When I started seeing spots on ten meters, I went there and was surprised to see signals across the CW band. I called CQ and immediately got spotted by a skimmer and the band was open to MI, OH, IN, and IL with a few NC and VA thrown in. After working about 180 stations, I decided to try SSB. I didn't get as many there and the band (must of been E-skip) moved to the west and I started working stations in places like TX, IA, SD, UT and then AZ, NM, and CA, so I worked a few of them on SSB and moved back to CW. Then South America started coming in but there weren't as many as I had hoped for.No east coast.
My goal, of course, is to work as many grids for the Chase. That's why I went mixed. But I needed the east coast. Sunday morning I was watching 10-meter spots again and just past sunrise, I started seeing spots. So I went to ten meters and the band was open to the east coast! I worked about a hundred stations and then went to SSB and worked a few more but by then the band had gone away.
I went back to CW and there was a tremendous opening to Florida. I worked about 20 or 30 of them but that was it. I went to SSB and picked up the FL mult and worked one station in TX. That was at about 10 AM when I went to do other things. I kept the radio on ten and kept checking from time to time but nothing really happened. I worked a few AZ stations in the afternoon to end the contest.
Don AA5AU