[LCC] FT8 - New Digital Mode

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 14 12:46:34 CDT 2017

FT8 is a fun mode and although it has been more popular than JT65, it has not totally replaced it. I think JT65 is better for very weak signals but the jury is still out. I still use JT65 to find "new ones" on the bands. A couple weeks ago I worked VP8EME on 80M JT65 for a new one on 80. At present I have well over a thousand FT8 contacts.
What makes FT8 so popular is the approx. 13 second transmission period compared to nearly 48 seconds for JT65. This curiously could make it a new digital contest (and possible DXpedition) mode but more experience is needed. I used FT8 exclusively in the CQ VHF contest this summer.
Several DXpeditions are looking to use FT8 including the upcoming KH1 trip. I still think RTTY will end up prevailing and remaining the contest and DXpedition digital mode of choice but until we see what FT8 can do, we really don't know.
73, Don AA5AU