[LCC] Is it time for the Louisiana Contest Club to spread it's wings

Steve Lott lottsphoto at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:17:38 CDT 2017

Duane KF5IWE,

Welcome to the Louisiana Contest Club email reflector
and if you joined the club,  thank you for becoming a part of
our young organization

By the way the next LCC meeting will be at the Shreveport HamFest
always an awesome turnout there both for the fest and the Louisiana Contest
Club meeting

And welcome back to Ham Radio, you will find the technology has changed a
lot,
Most of the rigs are much smaller and smarter,
to me the hobby is as much fun as it always has been, if not more so.

A lot of amateurs get their feet wet with contesting during ARRL Field Day,
however there are many opportunities between now and ARRL FD in June

Your timing for adding the rig to your Ford F150 is perfect
as the Louisiana QSO party is a week from Yesterday

You will be sought after if you travel to some of the rarer Parishes
and call cq LAQP a few times

I encourage you to look at the results from the past few years
you can do that here.....
http://laqp.louisianacontestclub.org/scores/2016_laqso_results.htm

As well as take a look at the rules here.....
http://laqp.louisianacontestclub.org/laqso_rules.htm

Make sure if you are planning on submitting your log you either use
computer logging with your lap top
or convert your hand written log to a computer entered one after the
contest unless you just enter it as a check log (no award or certificate
requested)
The guys made that rule at my suggestion after they had  to decipher
scribble from a couple of hand written logs with well over a hundred QSO's
(no fun)

The reason I say your timing is perfect for getting started in contest with
the LAQSO party is most QSO parties are a bit laid back compared to some of
the big contest like ARRL Sweepstakes and the big dx contests
for me they are all fun !

I currently live in North Texas
about a six and a half hour drive from your QTH

But that does not mean I can not mentor you into contesting
and of course I am sure someone closer to you will chime in
with an offer to assist you.

It would probably benefit you to join a local
club as well,  one that has monthly meetings to find someone
you can relate to and elmer you back into our great hobby.

I am currently still building my new antenna farm and shack
hopefully before the end of this summer I will be ready to
invite ops to come play Multiop here at my QTH

Watching and learning at a station that has a multiop team
is one of the best ways to answer a lot of questions and learn the ropes of
contesting.
However if it is one of the big Out for blood we are going to Win events
you may or may not get to operate - but again there are many smaller
contest events
where we would all love to have someone join us (at least I do)

I encourage you to watch the reflector here for invites to those events
and last year we started a tradition here at my new Texas QTH
a Bar B Q, after HamCom

Talk about a neat place to learn and meet fellow hams
HamCom https://www.hamcom.org/ and a Bar B Q afterwards,
you will fill your brain and your tummy

You can watch my station and it's antenna farm grow by following my Blog...
http://sdxa.blogspot.com/

Duane I look forward to meeting you

Cheers!
Steve