[LCC] FW: [WriteLog] IARU HF Championship 2017 - multiplier list updated as 22 June

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Thu Jun 22 09:37:16 CDT 2017

We have our friend Dave Patton NN1N at ARRL Headquarters to thank for
this opportunity.  About 12 to 15 years ago, we managed to get the ARRL
to send a headquarters representative to the Monroe Louisiana hamfest as
a speaker.  Dave was the ARRL representative.  Mark K5ER and me were on
the club's board at that time, so we had the responsibility to "host"
the visitor.  Following the ARRL forum at the hamfest, in the few
minutes that remained before having to take Dave back to the airport,
the three of us were talking about contesting.

As I recall, Dave mentioned that he always saw K5ER and W5WZ in odd
categories in the contest results, and asked us why.  We told him it was
because we knew we could not compete with the big guns, especially
W5WMU.  Dave told us that was a crazy strategy, and that if we wanted to
get better, we needed to play in the big leagues.  His advice was "Think
loud, be loud!  Get in there and mix it up with them!"  So we did.

Ever since that weekend, Dave has been a friend to us, and the Louisiana
Contest Club.  Mark and I seek him out at Dayton Hamvention to keep in
touch.  During contests, if we make a QSO, we often take time to say a
quick hello.

So, that's the story!

--Scott