[LCC] So who is using the New Spectrum Window in N1MM+ ?

Steve Lott lottsphoto at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:14:02 CDT 2017

There were a couple of replies direct to me Off list.....

So I hope to address everyone's questions here
if I miss replying to you, please repost your thought or question here in
the thread so all can see
and share in the discussion

First Waterfall Bandmap (WB for short) is a separate tool from N1MM+ it
(WB) was written by Steve N2IC

He recently released a new version allowing non Icom radios that have
either an LP-PAN
or SDR Radio to utilize his software

N1MM+ has been able to use the WB software along with a new window in later
versions of N1MM+
the new window is called Spectrum Window

Spectrum Window is very powerful !!!

It is so much more than just another visual aide
or just another window to what your HDSDR Pan adapter software, Band Scope
or whatever else you might already be using shows you

With Spectrum Window and Waterfall Bandmap working together
not only can I see what is happening on the whole band or a small portion
of the band (user choice)

I can.............

   - See the callsigns on the spectrum window
   - Tell the spectrum window to Find me a clear spot to call CQ either
   lower or higher than my current frequency,  your rig will QSY to that new
   frequency.

I have only been using the new Spectrum Window in N1MM+ for a few days now
and yes I do not even own an Icom !!!

It is working on my Ftdx5000MP with an LP-Pan
it works just as well with my K3 and the LP-PAN I have for that rig

It can also be used with just about any other SDR receiver
if you use HSDR software with that SDR receiver and tell HDSDR to output
audio as I/Q data as if it was a sound card listening to an LP-PAN, I am
doing this with an SDR-Play receiver on one of my non Icom rigs

This is a very very powerful Tool set  (Waterfall Bandmap) and The new
N1MM+ Spectrum Window

here are some thoughts on the Tool set from N1MM.................

*The New Spectrum Display in N1MM+*

I don't think most are understanding what is new here. AFAIK, no
contest software other than CW Skimmer finds signals for you. CW
Skimmer decodes the signals too, but decoding moves you into assisted
classes. Skimmer does have a mode that does not emit callsigns, but
then the data it emits is not correlated with what you have copied.

This Spectrum display:

1. Finds signals in a way that is legal for SO UNassisted.

2. Integrates the spectrum display with local "spots" resulting from
QSOs you have made and stations whose call you have entered, then tuned
off.

3. Allows you to jump from signal to signal, skipping unworkable "spots".

4. Does all this with *no* wiring, no configuration, no nothin, but
choosing a supported radio and configuring it once as one should anyway.

5. "Hands on keyboard". You can jump from signal to signal with
keyboard commands. No mousing required.

6. Spectrum bandwidth follows what you have chosen on your radio. All
of 15 meters when the band is not quite open, +/- 5 kHz when conditions
are wall-to-wall.

73,

Tom

P.S. One of the "gifts" under the tree you might have missed is right
click sets the split frequency. For non-contesting dx split pileup
operation, I would be interested if it works for you to set your tx
frequency optimally based on how the dx op is moving to the next caller.
I don't think this will be used much in contesting other than to set a
split frequency on 80 or 40 ssb, but it was simple to implement and
provides some non-contest usefulness to keep people testing the code.

Below is a capture of my screens while using the new Spectrum Window on my
FTdx5000MP

​
The Waterfall Bandmap portion could be minimized and made totally out of
view
as long is it is still running in the background

Maybe this tool is not as powerful as I think it is
I think it will soon be a game changer !

cheers!
Steve

http://www.KG5VK.com
My Ham Radio Friends