[LCC] LCC Digest, Vol 110, Issue 12

W5WZ w5wz at w5wz.com
Thu Dec 14 18:46:09 CST 2017

Wow! Some great answers from some experienced hams!  Thank you all for taking time to comment.

 I've not had any problems with my AL-1500 in the eight years since I bought it at Dayton fleamarket in 2010 (well, the sheister sold me a bum amp, and MFJ had to repair "some really strange modifications" at a cost of $400 for repair and 2-way shipping). And the next year in 2011 I bought the AL-1200 there. I had to replace all 8 HV caps and bleeder resistors a couple years ago.

Picked up a medical pull 8877 for $300 a few years back as a spare. With that and the mentioned repairs, I still have invested less than $4k for TWO legal limit and reliable amps.

In that light, Ted's comment "dollars are dollars and watts are watts" is pretty compelling.

It's like my motorcycle- a 1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC. carburetor, very few electronics. Gets 37MPG. Sure, the idea of a new HD Ultra is nice , but...  expensive to own, hard to work on, specialty items, etc.

Those who have operated at W5WZ know these amps work, and well!

I'm gonna pass on the Alpha, and look for another AL-1200 or preferably AL-1500.

Sent from my iPhone

Scott Dickson, W5WZ