[LCC] CQ WW RTTY

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 25 21:00:22 CDT 2016

Call: W4AAW
Operator(s): AA5AU MM0LID W4TMO N1MGO ND3D KU1CW W6IHG W3UL WS7I K4XD K4UB
W4AAW
Station: W4AAW

Class: M/M HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

   80:  402       48      35    11
   40:  359       50      60    21
   20: 1079       51     100    31
   15:  525       16      78    22
   10:   29        3       9     7
------------------------------------
Total: 2394      168     282    92  Total Score = 2,935,472

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was another Totally Remote effort.  Usually, M/M stands for
"Multi-Multi."  In this case, M/M should stand for,
"Murphy-Mangled!"

Ninety minutes before the contest start, the coax to the 40M yagi was
severed at the top of the tower when UV-degraded zip ties apparently failed,
allowing
the service loop to be drawn across the tower top.  So!  We had no 40M
antenna Friday night!

Saturday, Jay-WS7I suggested we get some kind of 40M vertical going.  So, a
wire vertical with four radials was quickly made up andraised. It worked
surprisingly well.

We also had massive rotor control box issues.  These caused the 15M and 10M
yagis to be parked on EU and South America, respectively.  Eventually, we
were
able to re-calibrate the boxes and all yagis then turned.  "But," we ask,
"Why did all this crapola happen minutes before the contest?"
Only the Contest Fairy knows.

The Internet connection worked flawlessly.

No QSOs were made from the W4AAW shack.  Operators and their remote
locations
were as follows:

AA5AU  -  Louisiana
MM0LID -  Scotland
W4TMO  -  North Carolina*
N1MGO  -  Massachusetts
ND3D   -  Maryland*
KU1CW  -  Singapore (9V1) Airport Passenger Lounge!!
W3UL   -  New Jersey*
WS7I   -  Washington State
K4XD   -  North Carolina*
K4UB   -  Utah
W6IHG  -  Virginia*
W4AAW  -  Virginia*    (* indicates PVRC member)

Some pretty remarkable QSO totals were turned in. Especially noteworthy was
Scott-MM0LID's effort with 617 Qs in his very first outing with us.  Gordon,
N1MGO used his secret BIC tactics to produce 460 Qs. Big thanks for
Don-AA5AU for setting up our positions for diversity decoding and for advice
on other
RTTY operating issues.

In the last two hours of the contest, Patrick-K4UB plunged in, operating his
first RTTY contest, and from Utah to boot!  He's a quick learner.

Thanks to W0YK for overseeing this great contest.  And thanks for all the Qs
and Mults.

We look forward to another Totally Remote effort in the CQWW SSB DX test at
the end of October.

Murphy, please stay away!

73  TeamW4AAW