[LCC] N1MM Plus Keying

Marsh Stewart marsh at ka5m.net
Sat Sep 5 12:28:09 CDT 2015

Hi David,

There is a reliable keying interface that works with N1MM, N1MM+, and
WriteLog. Only one small switching transistor and one resistor are required.
The transistor can be a 2N2222.

See CW Circuit at http://www.aa5au.com/rtty/fsk-interface/

Don has the circuit right (no surprise there). Don't use Opto-isolators. The
chassis and case of your computer should be bonded to the chassis of your
radio and to ground, so why isolate the common (ground wire) in the
interface?

I wonder if any problems you are having keying your radio on CW are with the
keying interface OR the RS232 COM port? If you are using a USB to RS232
converter I highly recommend a converter with an FTDI chip. They work!

For my computer RS232 COM ports I'm using an expansion slot card with 4 real
hardware COM ports. No software emulation, no BS, just 4 COM ports each with
their own UART.

73,
Marsh, KA5M