[LCC] Some thoughts about LaQP 2015

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Mon Mar 16 14:49:42 CDT 2015

Hi Guys,
	This weekend for LaQP, Bobby, (WM5H) and I operated the club bonus
station, N5LCC from my house. Below are a couple of thoughts and comments
about the weekend.

	We operated ssb, cw and rtty, and made 944 contacts, an increase of 12%
over last year. In 2014, spread out over a month, we received 88 logs.
Today, we have already received 55, just 18 hours from the contest end.
This is a very good sign! We had more rovers this year, including a new
one, K5UQ, who has a very nice write-up. We will be posting a link once he
finalizes it.

	Yes, I enjoy the competition - sometimes serious, sometimes casual, but
always fun. I also like to see the station perform well and like to have
guest ops come and have fun with amps and big aluminum.

	We invited a couple of local folks out to "play" at something besides
field day in a park. It was awesome to see a motivated female  teenager
operate. Gracie competed with her father for a few minutes, then it was all
over. Though only on the air for a little over 2 1/2 hours, she made just
under 200 Q's, and by the end, was telling her dad every one of the
countries she worked, by telling him the prefix, then the country name. She
even got into a mini JA run. Several asked her name and then each one
thanked her personally. She was grinning from ear to ear. It was great! We
now have a new contest op!

	Late in the day, Floyd worked us and mentioned he needed Louisiana for WAS
on LoTW. I paused long enough to work him with my personal call, and
uploaded a file immediately after the contest ended, to give him his match.
Below is an email exchange.

	These are part of the reason I think we have the best hobby in the world.
I am proud to be associated with the LCC, a group whose members also enjoy
the camaraderie and passion for the hobby.

Mark,

Thank you for the email. It was fun working the QSO party. I don't compete
but I sure enjoy meeting the guys. And without getting to sappy, let me say
that it is guys like you and Bob that make these things fun. Some get on
and all they want to do is exchange reports.  While I understand that is
the "intent' of the event, it is also the intent of HAM radio to have "fun"
and is very pleasant to exchange some jovial chatter also.

I want to thank you and Bob (Bobby, WM5H) for helping me get the 10 and 15
meter contacts for WAS.  I tried the young lady (Gracie, KF5MTI) on 40 but
my station ((6BTV vertical and barefoot power) wasn't enough to get through
from CA.

Again, thanks and continue to operate like you do and our hobby will be
enjoyable for both ends of a QSO.

Floyd  W5DXR
-----Original Message----- From: Mark Ketchell