[LCC] SO2R Mic Switch

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Fri Jan 18 11:47:29 CST 2013

Hi Don,
         I use the DxDoubler from Top Ten Solutions. It is meant to switch
audio in/out between two radios. Allows automated(computer driven) or
manual switching. For computer driven, requires a parallel cable from
computer. For MY use, I run my heil mic to the soundcard input, then the
output to the DXD. With a single keystroke, I can send either live voice or
wav files ("cq contest...") to either radio. Can also send live or comp
generated code to either. On RX, can have radio "with focus" in both ears,
or again with 1 button push, have one radio in each ear, great for SO2R
work, but a little hard to get used to. Several advanced features are
available, such as both ears on "alternate" radio while you are sending on
"primary", and allowing you to type data into entry window of "alternate"
radio, again while sending on primary. Merges seamlessly with logging
software, "TR", "NA", and "N1MM". Feel pretty sure Writelog will run it, too.
         Some of the guys are using the MK2R box with much success. It is a
really good option, has built in sound cards, only needs a usb cable to
comp. But at almost a grand, and the fact that it wants to be the very
center of your radio universe, I opted for the simpler route.

Quick question, how do you SO2R SSB guys switch your mic between radios?

I don't want to have to make anything elaborate. If nothing else, I can
always use a hand mic on the second radio. I guess I could
make a manual switch. Probably have the parts, but where to mount it?

Thanks,
Don AA5AU