[LCC] 80 meter antenna recommendations?

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Wed Sep 26 23:21:26 CDT 2012

Have received several well thought out suggestions. Thanks and keep 'em
coming!

Among those expressing an opinion, for combo of DX/Domestic, it seems that
the Inverted-V is more popular than the flat top. Not too many responses,
yet, but consensus so far is: if only one antenna - go with inverted-V with
apex between 50 and 150 feet. If able to do two antenna, Inverted-V at
50-75' for domestic and vertical for DX

For DX, most are liking the vertical with absolute minimum of 8, but
preferably 16 or more 25' radials, with more/longer making things better.
In a "perfect world" antenna would be 37.5 ohms. QUESTIONS: Since I
accidentally ran 75 ohm feedline, can I build some kind of 2:1 transformer
for the feed point? Is it easier / cheaper to just make the antenna
slightly long and use a vacuum variable at the feed point? I already have a
Comtek bead balun kit (whole stack of ferrites over teflon coax) to keep rf
off the buried feedline. I will eventually be running QRO, so guess
whatever feed I use needs to be a little hefty.