[LCC] Dayton related comments / Sweeps

Mark, K5ER k5er at arrl.net
Fri Jun 1 10:47:59 CDT 2012

Hi Pat,
         Good to see you as well. Odd that we have to travel almost a
thousand miles to have a good steak with a bunch of Louisiana (and Texas)
guys. Glad you and Jim got the chance to chat. He said that ya'll had some
good times back then.

         Yep that was us on page 80. We were sure hoping to get first place
for Ted, but it just wasn't in the cards that time. Still, second in the
country wasn't bad. Now that we are more familiar with the set-up, I think
we'll make an even stronger showing next year. At home, in my SO2R station,
I ALWAYS use vox. For M/S, you have to use a foot switch for the required
lock-out. About half the time, I was talking and not transmitting because
of that darn foot switch. With a little practice, it will be better next time.

         I've now had the opportunity to multi at the stations of W5WMU,
KG5VK, W5WZ and KN5O. These guys are all great hosts. Do you sometimes get
on each others nerves, cramped together and not getting much sleep? Well,
yes. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY. Working together with a bunch of friends,
all with the same goal while operating radios is some of the most fun there
is in the hobby. If anyone has the chance to participate at a multi event,
I highly encourage it. In the mean time, get on as often as possible and
send in your scores for team and club competition, and most importantly,
have fun.