[LCC] Wireless networking - Access Point & Client Bridge

Scott Dickson, W5WZ w5wz at w5wz.com
Mon Jan 30 22:18:11 EST 2012

LCC Friends:

Here is a recent challenge I encountered and how I solved it.

My home and my shop/shack are about 200 feet apart. They have independent
power service and meters. The only connection between them has been a CAT5
cable in buried conduit. Last week a lightning event took out the router on
the house end of the connection (2nd time in 18 months). I suppose either
the long cable acts as an antenna for the induced charge, or the electrical
potential at each end of the cable was different.

I decided to eliminate the long cable run by going wireless between the
house and shop. I wanted outdoor units. After much searching on Newegg.com,
I found the following units, bought a pair of them for less than $145 total
including shipping , and now have a robust wireless connection between the
house and shop/shack. These units are PoE (Power over Ethernet), so the
install uses only one cable to the unit. At output power of 10dBm, my
received signal strength at each end is -43dBm (roughly S9 level)

Here is the manufacturer's link:

http://www.engeniustech.com/business-networking/outdoor-access-points-client
-bridges/3350-80211g-outdoor-high-power-600mw-bridge-access-point-with-dual-
antenna-polarity-and-dual-antennas

--Scott, W5WZ