[LCC] Possible virus on contesting.com and eHam websites

Roland Guidry rguidry at na5q.us
Mon Oct 3 07:41:17 EDT 2011

Thanks for the heads up Don!

Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: lcc-bounces at louisianacontestclub.org
[mailto:lcc-bounces at louisianacontestclub.org] On Behalf Of Don Hill AA5AU
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 10:50 PM
To: Don Hill AA5AU
Subject: [LCC] Possible virus on contesting.com and eHam websites

Last Friday I got a nasty trojan on my work laptop viewing ham-related
websites.  I didn't know which one because I had left the room for something
and when I returned my PC was going haywire with all these false alerts
saying my hard drive had died.  Today I got a mysterious dialog box when I
went to contesting.com.  Others have told me they got the same thing when
going to eHam.

It's called the Data Restore virus.  A description of the virus plus a good
set of instructions for getting rid of it are located
here:

http://www.myantispyware.com/2011/09/29/how-to-remove-data-restore-virus/

>From what I understand, it could be related to running Internet Explorer 8
under Windows XP although other platforms may be susceptible too.  When
visiting these sites, a dialog box comes up asking if you want to run a
program.  Do NOT click the Allow button or the X box to close it or the
"What's the risk" link.  Instead, CLOSE IT ONLY USING THE CANCEL BUTTON.

A did a screenshot of the dialog box and put it on my website.  To see what
it looks like, go here:

http://rttycontesting.com/contestingcom.jpg

I'm running MS Security Essentials and it did not immediately catch it.  I
have heard that other virus programs did not catch it either.

Sorry for the bandwidth, but I just hope to save others from the pain of
having to deal with getting rid of this crap on their computer after
visiting legitimate ham-related websites.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com