[LCC] Fwd: SS CW W5RU(@KN5O) Multi-Op HP

Ted Saba kn5o at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 7 10:15:34 EST 2011

                     ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): KN5O K1DW N5HZ
Station: KN5O

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Covington, LA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   160:
    80:  135
    40:  407
    20:  440
    15:  235
    10:   62
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Amen!  It's over.

Like last year, K!DW started us off calling CQ on 20, figuring that would be
best for us for all-over USA coverage and I would take the mult radio for those
hard to get mults, either on 15 or 10, whichever looked best at the time.  What
was hard to believe was that it took 4 minutes before we got the first answer
to a CQ on 20.  I think it foretold of what eventually appeared to be the case
and commented on by many so far as I have read the soapbox - that this year the
contest appeared to be not as well subscribed compared to last year - although
we made a few more QSOs than last year.  Even with all the increased 10
activity of late (and to some extent on 15) propagation for us to the general
USA is not optimal.  We're better off on 20&  lower and our score reflects that
for the most part.

I tried to chase VY1EI, as did many others, early in the going when he was
spotted.  That must have been painful for him.  He was 20-25 over on 10 where I
first found him.  After a few minutes of uncontrolled mayhem, he QSY'ed
evetually to 15, where he was only a few dB weaker, but none-the-less, the same
messy pileup was upon him.  After about a minute or so of when I found him, he
dissapeared again.  HA!  Sure wish we had pileups like those - past memories of
when LA was a tough section to get - but thanks to the LCC and other factors,
that has become the stuff of history.

Anyway, I was just resigned to the fact that the only way for us to get a clean
sweep was to have the NWT find us.  That they did.. By 11:28pm Friday night,
VE8EV found us on 40 and about 30 minutes later, VY1EI chimmed @ 12:04am, also
on 40.  Thanks guys for the sweep!  Just hope the only NL (VO1HP) holds up to
log checking - he was QSO #3, very early on.

Thanks to all for the Qs.  For the SS Phone, we will be joined by Steve, KG5VK,
Scott, W5WZ and Mark, K5ER, in what we hope will be the beginning of an annual
LCC rotation at member stations.  Here's hoping the WX and conditions are
good.

Thanks for all the Qs.

73,
Ted
KN5O

For Team W5RU:  K1DW (Dallas), N5HZ (Jim) and KN5O