[LCC] The Mississippi Flooding and K5N

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Tue May 17 10:21:35 EDT 2011

Hello to all....here is our "latest and greatest" announcement from K5N.

A NEW  ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE K5N GROUP:

The K5N Activation group wishes to make the following announcement.
Please feel free to forward this to anyone that you think might be
interested.  Thanks....the K5N Activation Group.

ACTIVATING EL58 in 2011

As you may know, the Mississippi River is currently undergoing "The
Great Flood of 2011".  River heights are at record levels.  The peak of
the flood will fall during the time that we had planned to be at
EL58--or very close.  The team does not believe that traveling the river
will be safe.  In addition, the island where we must setup may quite
possibly be under water.  Burwood Island was only about 2 ft above the
Gulf of Mexico when we were there in 2009.  Current river heights are
running 3 ft above normal and rising.  None of us are prepared for a
Scarborough Reef type expedition.

Hence, we are moving our DXpedition dates.  Here is the latest plan:

June 29th    Team arrives in Venice, LA
June 30th    Load the boats and leave for EL58.  We should be
operational by 1PM or so
July 1-3      Operate from EL58
July 4th       Operate until 9AM.  Then the team will pack out and leave
the island.

For all  the details, please check out our new EL58 web page which may
be accessed from the Grid Bandits home page
(http://www.kcvhfgridbandits.com/) by clicking the DXpeditions button at
the lower right.  Or, just go to
http://kcvhfgridbandits.com/kc_vhf_grid_bandits_044.htm.  Also, please
note the addition of Russ-KB8U of CM79 fame.

All email concerning this event should be addressed to
k5n at bellsouth.net, NOT to our personal email addresses.   Team K5N
wishes to apologize for having to change our plans again, but we believe
that fighting the Mississippi River is probably a seriously losing
proposition.  We believe that the water will be down to manageable
levels by June 30th.

We hope to work everyone possible, so listen up for us.  Thank you.

73 de N5OMG, KE5KDM, WN2E, N5YA, K5QE, KB8U, K5YG, W5TFW and N0IRS
A Grid Bandits DXpedition

END OF ANNOUNCEMENT

Please understand that none of us wanted this change.  It was forced
upon us by Mother Nature.  Getting agreement on these dates for all
these people is hard enough--vacations have to be juggled, etc.  We are
doing the best that we can....

73 Marshall K5QE