[LCC] SS CW AA5AU Single Op HP

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 8 18:28:10 EST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:    0
   80:  113
   40:  255
   20:  111
   15:   61
   10:    0
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Jumped into the contest on a whim to see if I could do an unassisted Sweep with my new 3 element SteppIR.  All my previous efforts
have been low power so I decided I'd go high power.

Condx were excellent and the new antenna really kicked ass.  Was hoping for 500 Q's and a sweep before the Saints game Sunday but
that didn't happen.  I had done a lot of CQing but no VE4.  I went up and down 15 and 20 meters on Sunday but no VE4.  I was hearing
VE5 and VE6 strong on 15, so I decided to just sit there and call CQ until a VE4 called in.  Finally at 2004Z, VE4DR called in with
a whopping signal.  Two more contacts and I pulled the plug to watch the rest of the game in the living room.

Most of the sections called me, but I had to go hunt down AB, ND, ME and PR on Sunday.  They were easy to find the VE4 was elusive.
VY0JA called me with a very watery signal on 20 Sunday morning, then found VY1EI with no takers on 15 a little later, so NT was easy
this year. It was great fun and can't wait to do it again next year!

73, Don AA5AU