[LCC] FW: NAQP RTTY KI5XP(@W5WMU) Single Op LP

Charles Morrison cmorrison at lusfiber.net
Sun Jul 18 15:22:16 EDT 2010

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: KI5XP
Operator(s): KI5XP
Station: W5WMU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Lafayette, La
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

   80:   71    30
   40:  230    48
   20:  321    54
   15:   88    30
   10:    5     5
-------------------
Total:  715   167  Total Score = 119,405

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Team: LCC

Comments:

Getting married changes contesting!  Ran around the state all morning
dropping
kids off leaving about 15 minutes before the start of the contest to get set
up.

After about 3 hours of painful 20 meter operation and tons of repeat
requests,
discovered that the 20 meter Stack Master was way down compared to a NW lone
yagi.  Even for New England stations, they were 3 or 4 s-units higher with
me
pointing NW then on the NE stacks, so finished 20 on that.  Of course by
that
time, the 6's and 7's were coming on strong so it all worked out ok.

Second radio on 10 and 15 suffered from the fact that I had the Yaesu IPO
turned on (IE: No preamp!) until I discovered it and turned it off.  By that
time, 15 was on its way out.  I cq'ed for a while on 10, picked up 4
stations
and NA5Q for Louisiana on all bands.

80 vertical arrays were down for this one, so I was left with a dipole at
80'
and a flatop at 160'.  Seemed as though rx was better on the dipole, but tx
was
better on the flatop.  No one would answer my 80m cq's on the dipole but
apparently they heard me on the flatop.  Thanks Dan, W5XZ.

I intended on my usual schedule of working the first 10 hours straight, but
remembered that I took breaks in February because of how slow it had gotten.

Partying until 3:00am and getting up for 8:00am weighed heavily when the q's
had dropped substantially around 5:00pm local, so i took an hour then and
actually fell asleep for an hour.  It was really hard to get motivated to
continue, but 20 had apparently re-awakened and 40 was hopping.

Thanks to all for the q's, and sorry if I crashed anyone, have to check out
antennas a lot sooner then 15 minutes before the contest starts.

Charlie
KI5XP

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/