[LCC] redeeming IRC's

Mark Ketchell k5er at arrl.net
Thu Aug 19 16:35:21 EDT 2010

Hi Gang,
         I had the opportunity to use a Japanese IRC today. The Post Office
clerk who helped me shook his head, asked all the other clerks, and none of
them remembered how to do it. He finally asked the supervisor and we
eventually got it handled. By this time, though, I wasn't the most popular
person to all the others who were waiting (im)patiently in line. So, if you
find yourself in the same situation, the following might help. Feel free to
print this out and take to the post office with your QSL and IRC.

Redeeming International Postal Union / International Reply Coupons (IRC's)

Although most Postal workers are quite helpful, many have never had to
redeem an IRC. Since they are so uncommon, they are not a priority in the
Post Office computer system, and are several menu layers down. To speed
things up, just tell your friendly neighborhood postal worker that this is
the menu path:

Clerk Services > Administrative Functions > Stamps > Exchange > Redeem
Foreign IRCs.