[LCC] June VHF contest invitation

Mark Ketchell k5er at arrl.net
Mon May 4 15:38:09 EDT 2009

Hi fellow LCC'ers,

	I received this today from Marshall, K5QE, one of our members from just
across the border. Like Pat in Lafayette and Steve in Benton, Marshall has
put together a first class contest station, however, Marshall's is geared
for the VHF/UHF spectrum. Like a fes (most) of us he enjoys winning and
doesn't mind putting in the the effort to build up a station. His problem
(one I'd like to have) is that he now has more station than one or two can
operate efficiently. Basicly, HE NEEDS OPERATORS.

	As he mentions below, the rates on 6 can sometimes mimic 20 meters, but
the upper bands are somewhat slower. This would be a GREAT place for new
contesters to get their feet wet, while several experienced operators help
mentor you along. It would be a good chance to learn about grid squares,
chasing mobiles, VHF/UHF propagation, meteor scatter and get a chance to
work from a very fine station. If you are interested, please read the rest
of the message and if you don't mind the short drive to Hemphill, TX, drop
him a note (k5qe <at> sabinenet.com) and let him know you are interested.
At the very least, fire up those VHF/UHF rigs, point the ant toward EM-31
and give him some contact points on June 13-14.

	Remember, whether its HF or the upper spectrum, Contesting IS a contact
sport. Get on the air and have fun!!

President, Louisiana Contest Club
N5LCC.com

forwarded text follows:
	I joined LCC hoping that there might be some interest in VHF contesting in
addition to the interest in HF contesting.  I must say that the HF side of
contesting is well done in LA via the LCC.  I enjoy getting all the emails
detailing what is going on.

Although I don't live in LA proper, I am only 3 miles away....HI....We
always put on a good show for the VHF contests.  Sometimes I win, but
mostly, I come in in the Top 5 in the nation, contest after contest.  The
QE contest station won the CQ WW VHF contest last year and the ARRL 2M EME
contest for the Assisted class.  We were second in 2008 and 2009 in the
ARRL Jan VHF contest(I just can't seem to beat the NE guys...even in Jan
when they have ice!!!!  AAAAaaaaRGH!!!).

The next VHF contest is in June...specifically June 13th and 14th.  The
June VHF contest is the big one and if 6M opens like it did last year,
things are just like an HF contest....you work them as fast as you can
talk.  However, last year was a spectacular contest...6M was open for the
entire 33 hours of the contest!!  That is unusual to say the least.  We do
normally get some good openings on 6M, but not the whole contest.  The
other bands are not like HF contesting.  Rate is not the issue....it is
digging a weak one out of the mud and working the rover stations from all
different locations.

During the late hours at night, we run digital Meteor Scatter on 6M and 2M.
 When the moon is up, we run 2M EME with stations in Europe and all over
the US and Canada.  In January, we made over 30 EME contacts and got
something like 28 new grids via moonbounce.  My 2M moonbounce antenna is
the 5th largest in the US, so it is not a fluke that we can work that many
stations.

I would like to invite the LCC to come over and operate in the June
contest.  We are always needing good ops, especially for the late night
hours.  If you have never seen the digital Meteor Scatter or digital
moonbounce done, it would be a nice learning session.  Most guys, after
seeing how easy it is, go home and try it at their home stations.  The
digital meteor scatter works on 10M too.

We are finishing up the QE Motel....that is a 6 bunk facility in the ham
shack, so that the ops not in the chair can be sleeping.  There is a
shower, sink, and a second potty too.  We always have a big feed of BBQ
with all the trimmings.  If anyone in LCC is interested, PLEASE RSVP so
that we can have some idea of how many ops might be coming.  We need to be
able to assign everyone to their station and hours, if at all possible.  If
you would like to come, we would love to have you.

73 Marshall K5QE