[LCC] Receive antenna switching - Rhyme and reason...

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 7 03:07:52 EDT 2009

>From my understanding, #1 is radio dependant.  Although it would be a great
design rule, I recall one of the versions (or all) of the Icom 756/746's did
NOT ground the RX antenna port when it was implemented.  I may be wrong, but
I remember something about a modification for this.

Assuming the majority of the separate RX antennas would be for a Beverage or
directional loop, Pat implements a simple coax switch.  1 input into the
radio, 2 beverages in use, NW, NE.  Switch to the one that hears the station
the best.

Band decoders, if used to drive off the shelf devices (the 6pack and RatPack
come to mind) would probably be a bit overkill for RX'ing antenna's, unless
you're implementing a ton of them.  Besides rx antennas on the low bands,
where else would you use a separate RX antenna from your TX antenna?  Maybe
diversity?  Directionality or stacking of course could be obtained with
stack matches, 6packs/rat packs, etc.  Additionally, you'll have to contend
with driving the additional decoder, either from the rig itself, a CIV
command from the computer interface, or the software (LPT or Serial port).
Some things don't like multiple devices connected to it.